The Theatre Performance critique should consider the following:
– Content (what is in the critique)
– Structure (how the paper is organized)
– Usage (conventions of writing and presentation)
Key Question for the Theatre Performance critique:
These question are intended as a guide for writing a Theatre Performance critique.
1/ The world of the play:
– Where does the play take place?
– What is the time and period?
– Who are the major characters in the play?
– What happened in the play?
– What is the conflict in the play?
– What was the playwright’s purpose/message?
– What does the play say about life?
How effective was the acting? Consider either cast in general or outstanding performers.
Did all the elements of the production seem to be unified and to fit together? How was this reflected, in particular, in the visual elements—the scenery, costumes and lighting?
5/ The Reviewer:
– How did the play affect you?
– What did you like or dislike about it?
– Would you recommend the play to others?