- Apply topics and concepts in the physical sciences to a given real-world scenario
- Reflect critically on your ability to apply and connect topics and concepts in the physical sciences
The Accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant
In this exercise, you will connect and apply course topics and concepts to a real-world scenario. Then, you will critically reflect and articulate some thoughts about your perceived learning, which can be a powerful bridge in the learning process. After reviewing your submission, your instructor will provide you with personalized feedback to further your learning and contribute to your understanding and application of the concepts.
Spend some time reviewing the text and video information regarding the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in 1986 at the following links:
Then, formulate, using your own words and thoughts, a two-paragraph written discussion that concisely* fulfills the following requirements:
- Paragraph 1: Outline connections between concepts and topics covered thus far in the course and the information you reviewed regarding the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Make clear but general connections between the information and specific topics and concepts; detailed explanation is not expected
- Paragraph 2: Based on your discussion in paragraph 1, formulate a discussion that reflects on your learning thus far in the course. In doing so, consider answering the following questions
- How did the knowledge you’ve acquired prepare you for developing paragraph 1?
- How has the knowledge you’ve acquired affected your interest in the topics and concepts presented?
- How will the knowledge you’ve acquired apply to ventures beyond this course?