Changes at Jackson High School
You have been hired as the new administrator at Jackson High School. According to the faculty and staff, the demographics of the Jackson High School community have changed quite a bit in the last few years. Some faculty and staff members in the school have expressed to you that the school community they knew five or six years ago has somehow disappeared. In looking at the school’s demographics, you discover that fewer than two percent of the student body spoke a language other than English in their homes five years ago. Today that figure is at 35 percent. There are new houses of worship popping up in the community that are unfamiliar to you and at least five ethnic food markets have opened within the past year. The signs on the marquees outside the markets are in a language you cannot read.
One of the most troubling aspects of the change is the dramatic dropout in parent participation. Test scores are showing a rapid decline along with the disappearing parent involvement. The school has lost three valuable business partnerships within the past three years when the local businesses relocated to other neighborhoods. The new ethnic markets have replaced the relocated businesses.
Jackson High School has a tradition of high standards and quality programs. The school continues to report fewer students’ disruptions and higher attendance than the other high schools in the district. The Overseer of the District has asked you to create a plan to address the decline in test scores and parent participation. Outline your plan for improving school community relation and include the following information in your response to the Overseer of the District.
1. The existing and emerging problems that should be addressed. (ELCC 4.2 Respond to Community Interest and Needs)
2. The stakeholders you will include in developing and implementing the plan. ( ELCC 4.1 Collaborate with Families and Other Community Members)
3. The method of outreach you will employ to reach the various stakeholders. ( ELCC 4.1 Collaborate with Families and Other Community Members)
4. The manner in which you will determine and respond to the interests and needs of the community (ELCC 4.2 Respond to Community Interests and Needs)
5. The public resources and agencies you will utilize to assist the school in meeting the goals of the school and needs of the student community (ELLC 4.3 Mobilize Community Resources)